Herbert Strutt School was built 1907–09, commissioned by George Herbert Strutt - a direct descendent of Jedediah Strutt, the famous industrialist who developed the cotton industry in Belper.
Herbert Strutt was given the go-ahead to provide a school for the town in March 1907 and the site he chose for the new school was opposite the town‘s workhouse, Babington House.
By the spring of 1909 the work was complete, and the school, named after its creator, was officially opened on May 7th. The Duke of Devonshire carried out the opening ceremony.
On completion the building was a presented by George Herbert Strutt to the County Council for use as a Higher Grade Elementary School and Pupil Teacher Centre.
Later the school became a Grammar School and then a Middle School in 1973. In 1986, following the shake-up in education brought in by the Government in 1971, Herbert Strutt School became a primary school. It
remained as such until its closure in February 2007, when children moved to a new school building, taking the Herbert Strutt name with them.